Saturday, June 2, 2012

Stuff and Nonsense

I just feel like writing, so here goes.

Today was day 4 of potty training for Max. It's definitely been a different experience than with  Levi, who took a little prompting and did most of it himself. With him there wasn't really a time when I said 'ok, time to start potty training', it just sort of happened. But Max needs to start especially if he wants to go to preschool in the fall and I didn't want to do it in the end when the weather is nice. Right now it is all overcast and rainy so I don't feel so bad about staying indoors.

Day one, was naked day and he was amazing. A tiny accident at the beginning but he did a great job the rest of the day, and for the most part on his own (in typical Max fashion he didn't go when I asked him to sit but when he decided it was time). Day two, not so awesome. Underwear day which I thought he was ready for but we went through all his spiderman underwear (the only kind he'll wear), before 2. So I was thinking I was never going to get out of the house this summer. But day three (underwear again) proved to be better. We even had a friend over for a few hours cause they were going bonkers and he again, did amazing with only a little accident. Today I'm not sure because it was not our normal day. We had to go to the doctors and run a few errands. He didn't have any accidents but I think he was thrown off a bit. Ah well, we'll see what tomorrow and the rest of this week brings. We're having fun hanging out though with nowhere we really have to be.

Speaking of doctors both boys had to get shots today. Why I scheduled it then I do not know but it was set. Max also had to get his ears flushed out (nas-tay) then poked a couple time and boy howdy that kid was angry the rest of the day. He got shots on the leg so refused to pull them up or down saying "I ave' owie!" then refused to just go pantess all of this resulting in lots of accidents. He had to be distracted pretty much the rest of the night because anytime he sat long enough to think about it he got screechy mad and couldn't be calmed, so we played with legos and watched a number of shows till it was time for bed. I'm hoping he'll forget about the whole thing by tomorrow. Levi was quite the little trooper. After Max went first he hopped up and said "I'm not scared of anything!!" cried on shots 3 & 4 and on the way out said "I don't like shots very much mom." But as we talked about what the shots did he got really excited because there were now antibodies inside him protecting him. He loves that sort of stuff. I'm always amazed about how much he understands about things like that.

Tomorrow Jason and I are doing the starlight run again and I am not as excited as I was about it last year. Last year I had been training for a 10k so a 5k was not that hard, now? Yeah I might die on this one. But the good thing is it won't be so hot (it was one of the hottest days last year) and I'll just be pacing myself (I was running with someone last time who was faster than me, but lets be honest, that's pretty much everyone) and I'm going to go slow. My only, ONLY goal, is to finish and not to walk. Oh, and also they want me to dress up which I'm not digging. First of all running is not my favorite thing to do, I love the feeling after running but during is definitely not on my top 10 lists of things I'd like to be doing so the thought of having to do a hard, not so fun thing for me, in an uncomfortable costume is not very appealing to me and because of it I've thought of nothing cool to do. Our group's theme is rock and roll and we have been chosen to be Sonny and Cher but I will be Sonny and Jason Cher. No idea what to do, ah well, I'm just pleased that I'm making myself go.

One of the things I'm always trying to do is figure out this parenting thing. I never feel like I'm doing a good enough job or the right thing in the right way. I continually second guess myself, compare, and worry about what I'm doing as far as taking care of my boys goes. Are they getting enough of the right foods? Are they watching too much TV and the 'right' kind of show? Are they getting enough outdoor play time? Do we spend enough time reading? Should I sign them up for summer classes or sports? How should I discipline them when one scratches the other in the eye (happened the other day)? What kind of chores should they be doing and is it too much/not enough? How can I improve reading/handwriting/letter/basic learning? Do I play with them enough? Do I allow them to be independent enough? How should I explain male/female anatomy to them when they ask? SO MANY THINGS are all running though my head every day. I try to shut my brain off with those things but it's difficult. I try to stay informed because I have no idea what I'm doing but at the same time I try not do things because everyone else is doing them or that's what all 'the experts' are telling me to do, it's a hard thing to balance. One day I'll figure it out right? Yeah, doubt it. Till then I'll fake it till I make it. That's all that can be done I suppose. I'm just grateful for Jason who keeps me grounded and from completely freaking out all the time.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Oh Kendra....ever since we became good friends I have seriously ALWAYS wanted to be more like you as a parent. Like, you're my ultimate goal and I figure maybe by the time I'm a grandparent, I'll be as awesome at it as you are. Maybe. Don't stress about doing it all perfect, you're giving your kids your best and that's good enough! *hugs*