Friday, December 7, 2012

Shhhh!

 I am pretty much all done Christmas shopping for the boys, and I don't know whose more excited, them or me. Normally I don't buy the boys lots of toys (though Jason thinks I do), they have far too many already and we have very limited space but for Christmas bring on some toys!

I doubt when the time comes I'll write about what they got, not that presents really matter much but they do to kids. It took quite a long time to come up with things that I knew they would really like and that would be played with often.

Both boys really love books and particularly non fiction books with facts, information and pictures. We've gotten these books a lot at the library and so I bought a bunch of used ones to add to our collection. Among others I found sharks, arms and armor, Rome (Levi likes stuff about Rome and Greece), trains, cowboys, robots, amphibians, insects, mummies, the myans and more. I'm way excited to read them with them.
                                                                 

 This year we are going to Montana with stops in Washington which means a lot of time in the car. I was thinking I'd wrap up some of these books, which will be from me and Jason, and give them piriodically on the trip.

Along with the books I got some fun figures. Levi and I found these at a store and he fell in love with all the figurines. I got a number of sets and we'll see who gets what. There are dragons, Indians, pirates, soldiers, knights.... So I was thinking on the trip I'd give them the books first, let them read them and then give them corresponding toys to then play with. I think they'll enjoy.

Speaking of figures I also got them some animal figures to add to their collection. They play with their animals all the time. This year we'll add reptiles, bugs, animals from Madagasgar and Polar Animals. 
Wild Republic Polybag Insect 10 Pieces

 On the sciency front I got a couple of things, I'm not sure who it will be for but they will both love any of them.


Break Your Own Geodes4M Crystal Mining Kit







Insect Lore Live Butterfly Garden



The boys also LOVE stuffed animals and puppets, they play with them every single day and consider them their kids. It's very sweet. One thing I thought would be fun would be people puppets. We have animal puppets but no people, I think they will love them. I didn't get all of these but some. A king, pirate, knight and dragon. I figure they can probably come up with some pretty steller stories. 

For our drive we're up to this one. Levi listens to one every single night and they are great for road trips. 
 Magic Tree House Collection: Books 41-44: #41 Moonlight on the Magic Flute; #42 A Good Night for Ghosts; #43 Leprechaun in Late Winter; #44 A Ghost Tale for Christmas Time
 Now this is something I am working on for each of the boys. While I was pregnant with Max, Grampy, my grandpa, had gotten a sock puppet kits for both Levi and for Max. Less than a month later he passed away and I never quite got around to making them for the boys. Well I finally did it and I think the boys will love them. They not only love stuffed animals but we talk about Grampy a lot, though Max never met him, but Levi did. We talk about how he's in heaven and what he was like. They know and understand and I think they'll really love their monkeys.

 
 Another gift I'm making them. This has been in the works forever! I wanted to make them for Levi's birthday and even had all the stuff but it didn't quite happen. So I worked for almost an entire day on them at my quilting retreat and they (along with three other sets for friends) are almost done! It is from their absolute favorite show Wild Kratts which has these two brothers who use these creature power suits to turn into that particular animal, and thus learning about it, and solve whatever crime/problem of the day. I'm pretty sure they will freak out.
Now this isn't one I'm getting but I know my mom is. It has a story behind it. One night as we were preparing for bed Levi comes up to me and asks "Mom, are you 18 years or older?" I tried my best to supress a laugh because I was pretty sure where this was going. When I replied that I was he began to spout off information about this toy that had so many pockets to put stuff in, and that it came in all these differnt types....it was very cute to see his excitement about a toy because he doesn't really ever do that about any particular toy he wants. It reminded me of Ralphie on the Christmas Story movie. It actually took a bit of investigating to see what it was all about because they are in the comicerials on the shows he watches downstairs with Gram (we don't really watch them up here). Oh then after explaining he said "your mom said she would get me one". But of course when I talked to the source she had no idea what he had been talking about but found out and decided to go with it. I forget what she got for who but the boys will love em.

         Now I know Christmas isn't about toys and I think I've been thinking more about toys than they boys have. We haven't really done a list or anything and they haven't mentioned much about presents or what they're getting, which I kind of like. Over the past several months I've tried, in an effort to lessen the fighting between them, to emphasize that people are more important than toys. In fact I ask them numerous times "What's more important, people or legos/toys/blocks?" and have tried to work this into our celebrating of Christmas.

For FHE we took the evening to go to the dollar store to get presents for the kids in the family. They each got to pick things out they thought the other kid would want and we didn't get one thing for them. I think it's good for them thinking not about what they will get but what they will give. We'll wrap them next week. Hopefully. Also we bought cards for the adults because that would be WAY too many presents for each kid because our family is getting pretty huge. We have been working on writing/drawing cards for a few people each day so they can be handed out at Christmas and I think that has been good in helping us think of others.

Lastly to help with the spirit of giving we (again hopefully and dependant on my stress levels) will be going through their toys and they will pick out some toys who need new homes. I've done this with them several times and they actually do better than I expect and almost to the extreme. It's quite sweet. Plus that will make room for the new ones.

Anyways Christmas preparations are going well and I feel like most of it is under control. Except for that Jason who made a list for me then went and bought pretty much everything on it. Ah well. I'll figure out something.

No comments: