Saturday, December 29, 2012

Tickling the Ivories

One of the things I have always wanted for my kids is for music to somehow be a part of their lives, it has always been a part of mine. Music, weather it was piano, singing or guitar,  has helped me to be a better person, comforted me, taught me discipline, given me courage and confidence, increased my self-esteem and helped me to ponder my own life, values and relationship to God and others.

I had thought back and forth about having the boys do piano for a number of reasons. It was something I wish I had started on and stayed with earlier in my life because I really only took lessons for two years, once when I was 8ish and then for a year when I was 15, the rest I figured out on my own. While I had a great passion for playing/singing my theory knowledge and technique was horrible. When I took private lessons again in collage it was really hard to overcome some really bad habits I had picked up on when I was on my own, I still struggle with a lot of things musically that I probably wouldn't have if I would have stuck it out when I was younger.

At the same time I don't like the idea of putting kids in too many classes and activities because it can make life pretty stressful all that running around. That and I don't know how I feel about just picking something for them to do weather it's a sport, activity or something they haven't expressed interest in.
               
When I was a freshman in collage I remember I had two good friends, both boys, who both played really well at about the same level and when I talked to them about playing they both told me their moms had both pushed them and pushed them to practice. One said he was really grateful for it but the other said he wished he hadn't learned. I'd like to think that the one who didn't has since changed his tune and I never really believed him when he said it because when he played he looked like he enjoyed it too much but who knows. Just talking to them had a big impact on me and had me determined that if I had boys they were going to play piano. Sports, hobbies, and even employment would come and go but music will stay with you for a lifetime if you let it. 
So after deciding to do it I did some asking around about it with friends and from what they told me 5 or 6 was a good age to start and the other piece of advice was that you shouldn't teach your own kids. It's hard enough being the one who has to be on top of them practicing but to be the teacher too can be a bit too much from on person. That plus the fact I had no idea where to even begin teaching had me convinced I was not the one to teach, just help with the practicing. We decided to ask our cousin Krista if she would teach Levi because we know her and also I love her way with kids, she just gets them and I knew she would be great with Levi and she has been. Her lessons are short and to the point (perfect for a wiggly 5 year old boy), she is always patient with him and I love how kindly but firmly she teaches. Plus as a bonus she brings her little Abby over so we get some baby time with her.
Levi did a great job at his first recital and did a song called Handbells and had Mary had a Little Lamb memorized. It is amazing to see how much he has improved even after a few months. Levi you are awesome!!! And a special thank you to Krista, I'm so glad you live close to us!

No comments: