Tuesday, February 1, 2011

His Terms

I am a firm believer in naps. Kids and parents are just happier when it happens. Levi was pretty good about naps up until September/October, when he began to refuse them. No matter how hard I tried or how many times I put him back he'd still get up. After several weeks I gave up and figured he was done with them, so I told him he had to have 'quiet time' while Max napped, which seemed to work out for both of us.

Several months passed, the crazy holidays were over and I thought I'd give it another try. This time I decided to give him more of a choice. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in my room or the couch (Max was in their room) and he said couch. I asked him if he wanted a drink, which pillow and which blanket and he chose them all. I turned down all the lights and he did what I thought he'd never do again. Took a nap. On the couch, but who cares where? He did it! And the day after and the day after... Now he does it a majority of the time, I'd say at least 75% of the time and the other times he at least lays on the couch for a good half hour, maybe more, before he gets up. I don't know how long it will last but I'm loving it.
Max? Still loves to sleep. Though he has been working on getting out of his crib lately. That might be a problem.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

what an awesome idea kendra! ethan doesn't take naps anymore and he needs them. hmm....