Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tis the Season

Of craziness that is. At least around my neck of the woods. But it's all good , life would be boring without a little bit of insanity.

The boys are getting excited for Christmas, mostly Levi. Max doesn't really realize what's going on but he's excited because Levi is. He told me his list and everything on it involved a remote control. If you let him talk about Christmas, Santa or the countdown he gets really excited and his voice gets really high pitched. It's adorable.

On the subject of Christmas I'm trying to go simple (well, simple for me) and have been thinking more and more about the true meaning of Christmas and trying to figure out how to teach that to the boys. It's so hard sometimes with all the stuff going on, sparkly fun things, and other great holiday events. I'm just trying to find a balance. I guess I was just really put off with the over commercialization of Christmas when I started seeing holiday stuff in stores in Halloween. Really people?

Speaking of commercialization at Christmas....I am almost done with craft shows. This year has been interesting, some were very good and some were very bad. I think next year I'm going to be very selective and not do so many. Maybe just a couple. It's a lot of work to do them and a big sacrifice for the whole family. But I usually have fun and get to meet interesting people at them.

Yesterday we had our ward Christmas party, which was fun. I almost had a mental breakdown trying to figure out how to get my gingerbread birdhouse to stand up. I survived it and so did Jason. The result was great but involved many tears of frustration and a lot of hot glue.

Also at the party my mom, Levi and I sang. Mom was asked to play her guitar and do a song so she choose 'In the Bleak Midwinter', which we've done dozens of times. As she and I were practicing an hour or so before (yeah, that's how we do it round' here) in the last verse I saw Levi mouthing the words as we sang. So I asked him about it and he said it was a poem they were learning at preschool. It was adorable to hear him repeat it and he knew it all. So we roped him into singing the last verse with us. He was reluctant but obliged.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepard, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what then can I give him, I will give my heart.

He's such a sweetheart and did a great job singing loudly, though he was a little on the squirmy side for a lot of it. But twas to be expected. As we sang together I realized why my mom was always roping us kids into singing with her growing up. Heck she even does it to me now. It's just an amazing feeling performing with your child and to see them do something well.

On a sad note a dear family friend, Tiffany's, husband passed away very suddenly this week. Brooke, her cousin, happened to be over at my house that morning she found out. We both just burst into tears, and I'm not the crying type. I can't even imagine what she is going through. Especially to be so young, and they're expecting their second daughter. I've been thinking about her all week and at the same time trying to appreciate the wonderful boys in my life. I don't know what I would do without them.

No comments: