Monday, January 24, 2011

Gettin' Old - Part I

This weekend we celebrated Jason's birthday a week early because we, Jason and I, get to go to the coast for the entire weekend! We're pretty excited about it. And me being the awesome wife I am, got him a massage. Oh, and one for me too since I will be there anyways.

I was pretty excited to put this all together because I really got to involve Levi this year. For almost a month we've talked about what we should do for Dad's birthday, mostly what kind of cake we should make.

To prepare, a couple times a week Levi and I would get on the computer and look at pictures of some really cool cakes, normally ending up looking at superhero cakes because he wants a superhero one for HIS birthday, which is not for another 7 months.

At first Levi was very insistent on a tool cake because he just has always associated dad with tools but then I saw that the one I REALLY wanted to do was a little too complicated and time consuming to do this time around. Which is not to say we won't do it, because we're definitely doing it. We just found a slightly less time consuming, yet awesome cake to do. A construction cake.

It took three different stores to find the perfect construction trucks, but we finally did it. And guess how many cake mixes??? If you guessed 4 your right. And a whole pile of frosting. We got the rocks, 'made' the dirt by crushing up chocolate graham crackers, which the boys LOVED doing, and even picked out some fun sparkle candles.

It turned out way better than I thought it would, was pretty easy and the boys even helped with it all, though Max kept picking off the rocks when we weren't looking. That little sneak.
As I was working on it I got to thinking about why I like to make cakes for people. I think that while I can make lots of things, some times it is hard deciding what to make for someone and then if I do make something and put my time, thoughts and energy into it I wonder if it will even be used or appreciated. Also crafting for those males out there can be particularly challenging. But a cake? Who doesn't like cake? Fun cakes are always a hit around here, and are practically inhaled.
For his dinner Mr. Man chose a personal favorite and I made him two whole pans of lasagna so he would have plenty of left overs.
See, isn't he happy?
Jason, I love you so so so so much and am grateful you were born. You are my hero and my best friend. Aren't I lucky?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh Kendra!! That is one cool birthday cake! I'm just getting into making cakes and I'm really excited. I just don't consider myself a very creative person so I'm afraid I won't get any good or original ideas. Jasons cake looking amazing and you are one talented lady!!!

Emily Hayes said...

Looks good- Happy Birthday to Jason

and I wanted to comment to say I think that smile of Jason's is totally a Levi smile.

cymagen said...

haha that cake is hilarious.