Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Flashback and Feeling Old

When I think back to high school it feels like I was JUST there maybe only a few years ago. Then I get to thinking and realize it's been a bit longer than that. Collage, a mission, marriage, two kids. Yeah. It's been a while. Plus I have a couple grey hairs to prove it.

Some people I know hated high school but personally I loved it. I had great friends, enjoyed learning and had fun with outside activities. I always think back to it with fond memories. Now I was never super popular, but I knew most people and got along with everyone in all the different 'groups'. So when talks of my 10 year high school came up I was pretty stoked to see some people I hadn't since then, though I was a little bit nervous because I wasn't sure who would show up and if I'd be sitting alone. I made a pact with Miss Becca M. that we would go together so at the very least we would have each other to talk to and I can never get enough of her, so win win.

It was held down a bar and grill in downtown Portland, which was interesting considering I've been in very few bars in my life. But we had a nice reserved area with lots of room to mingle.

A quick group shot. Me, Eric Fisher, Britta Sorensen, Brandon Ellison, and Roby (I don't think I ever knew his last name, he was like Prince and only needed one name I suppose)
This is Britta. She is amazing. When I was in high school, especially during my freshman and sophmore year, I was super shy and looking back now I realize I had really low self esteem. Britta, as well as some others, was one of the people who changed all that. She always made me feel like I was the most amazing, coolest people in the world. Other people had told me things like that but it was usually people from church or my relatives. I just always felt better around her. She is smart, hilarious, and extremely genuine. Everyone needs a Britta in their life. I wish we lived closer but I'm glad she I could see her while she was in town.

As we were saying our good byes, not knowing if we wouldn't see each other for another 10 years, I gave her a big hug and even got a little teary as I thanked her for her friend ship that had meant so much to me at a time in my life when I needed it.

And one of my favorite people ever. Becca. I'm so glad she lives around here and that she's married and has kids now , because lets face it, after you have kids, that's about all you talk about. At least I do. I am so excited for our kids to get old and play together, and if I can arrange it, getting our kids married (though, one of us would need to have a girl for that) It would be a dream come true if I were related to her. And I can guarantee she would be the best mother in law ever.

She is one of the nicest, friendliest, most genuine people I know. Also pretty dang crafty to boot. I miss our sewing party sleepovers. I know. Who has sewing parties in high school? We did, which paid off for her cause she's now a designer at Columbia Sport. Lucky girl.

Over all it was a fun night, though I wish some of my seminary/Mormon friends would have made an appearance. I know a bunch of them live around here, I just don't get to see them a lot. Kevin Vial and I were the only ones to show up. He said that he had talked to a couple of people who refused to come cause they 'got old and fat' to which he replied we all did, then gave me the best compliment ever when he said "Except for you, you look a lot skinnier". THANK YOU KEVIN!!! I am probably going to live off that compliment for a couple years at least. Hopefully the at the next 10 year reunion I'll see even more people and maybe even be a little smaller.

No comments: