Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Don't Want my Children to Be Happy

I am not a very eloquent person. Normally I don't say the right thing or can't express in word or text what my heart might want to convey. I read an article that mirrored my own personal feelings so exactly I'm going to pretend they came from me though I could never write something so perfectly written. I'll change it when necessary, take things out that don't quite apply. Article is found here.

Dear Max and Levi,

My goal as your mom is not your happiness. In fact, I spend at least half my day making you unhappy. If I had a nickle for every tear that falls in this home on a daily basis, we wouldn't need to worry about college tuition at all.

Happiness is fleeting. That means it doesn't last. It's a quick feeling that comes from a funny movie or a heart shaped lollipop or a really good birthday present. It's great. I love to be happy. But happiness is a reaction that is based on our surroundings. And our surroundings are so very rarely under our control. Even when - especially when - we think they are. So no, I absolutely don't want you to spend your life chasing something that has so little to do with your own abilities. You'll just be constantly frustrated.

There are two things I desire for you. There are two things that I spend most of my time as a mother trying cultivate in you. Happiness isn't one of them.

The first is, I want you to be content. Being content is so much different from being happy. Being content is not based on your surroundings. Being content comes from within. Contentment is a spirit of gratitude. It's the choice you make to either be thankful for the things you do have, or to whine about the things you don't have.

Being content and grateful leads to consistent joy.
Paul talked about being content. Paul said that he had "learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." And Paul was in some rotten situations, kiddos, really rotten.

How could Paul be content whether he was in prison or if his life was literally a shipwreck? Because Paul was constantly seeking to be in the will of God instead of his own, was constantly sacrificing his own comfort for the sake of the gospel, and was constantly being confirmed, strengthened, and blessed by God because of his obedience. He was given a supernatural power to do things that most other humans could not do. And guess what? The bible tells us (in Ephesians 1) that God will give you the exact same power! If you want it!

Which leads me to my second desire for you.

I don't want you to be happy. I want you to be holy. That means, I want you to seek that heavenly power to make you content. I want you to want the Kingdom of God more than your own kingdom. And that's hard, that is so hard. And that usually means passing up a lot of what the world considers happiness. But it means that you will achieve blessings directly from God that most of the world never dreams of because they are too occupied with the achieving the perfect birthday present!

This means you may be poor, 'in want' as Paul said, and that's okay. It will never, ever be okay with the world for you to be poor. So you'll be up against the world. But not your dad and me, because it was never our goal for you to be wealthy - at least not in the way that the world considers wealthy.

We love you so much. You will never even grasp how much we love you until you have children of your own, and then you'll get it, and then you'll apologize for the ways you treated us ;) But our goal is not to please you. Our goal is to please our Heavenly Father.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I absolutely LOVE this!

Amyann6 said...

What a great article. Thanks for posting it. I feel the same way for my kids.