Wednesday, April 4, 2012

3 out of 4

Conference with kids is still something I'm trying to figure out, I think all parents are like that though. It's a difficult thing to get an adult to sit through 8-10 hours worth of speaking in 2 days, let alone a 2 and 4 year old. But I thought I'd try something new.

I felt Levi was ready to pay more attention and be able to participate more with the whole thing rather than play around while we attempted to listen. So I found this idea where you have a bag for each of the apostles and first presidency with a picture on the front for the kids to identify and with activities inside. Also I had a small square of paper in each bag to briefly write what they talked about.

All and all they worked really well. Levi did a great job identifying a number of them, he has a good 6 of them down pat since we've been working on them for a while now. And they enjoyed all the quiet activities which were some coloring pages, online printables, apostle matching game, simple puzzles, making collages from the friend, play dough, stinging beads and a bunch of other things, small quiet reverent activities with a couple treats in some random ones.
Here they are hard at work with their necklaces. Levi made one for his cousin Sienna and Max, upon finishing, promptly destroyed it. I love this activity and so do they.
They did great for all of Saturday and the Sunday morning session but by that afternoon it fell apart and they were just tired and done. Not bad if they made it that long though. I was very proud of them. And Levi really seemed to listen to a number of them, especially in the Sunday morning. Maybe not the whole talk but enough for a 4 year old. He asked a number of great questions too and I think that they both understood the importance of listening to our prophet and apostles.

I particularly liked the 'notes' ( the slip of paper I had in each bag) because I would ask them what they were talking about and a number of times Levi could kind of say. But I also got to write some of the points that I liked as well which helped me a lot. Before kids I was able to take notes but not so much anymore, it's more trying to keep my kids from going crazy and now getting them to listen for a bit, so much that I can't do much more than pay attention myself, but with it I was able to write down some of my favorite things or impressions I had. It was nice.

All and all it was a success, a lot of prep work but will be easier next time and I really hope it helped them understand conference isn't just a day we don't go to church.

No comments: