Thursday, April 12, 2012

Friday

I am not sure why but I've been a little down in the dumps for the past several weeks. I think part of it has to do with the fact that I was sick for a week, then Levi all last week and Max for a lot of this one. That on top of a ton of rain has kept us home bound. There were several bursts of sun and we tried to take advantage of them when we could despite the constant flow of boogers and hacking coughs. In the bits of sun we did have we were able to weed a lot of the front yard, fill up a couple grow boxes and plant some plants. The boys are really excited about their bean plants which got really tall, really fast.

Tonight I got to go to a quilting night and get some work done on a project that has been in the process for no joke, almost 3 years. Yipes. I need to finish it up and will. It was a lot of fun getting together with some gals from my ward who enjoy sewing and crafting. I'm slowly but surely getting to know everyone, they're all pretty neat-o ladies.

Today we also went to kindergarten round up for Levi. I wish I had brought my camera but I wasn't even thinking, we were all so excited about the whole thing. Taking a tour was a lot of fun and reminded me how awesome elementary school is, so sweet and innocent. I still can't believe he's going to be in school soon. I had fun reading all the info and am very excited to get to volunteer in his class and have him be around some fun kids. He thrives being around others. My little people person. He's pumped. Also Max is excited about possibly going to preschool. But that all hinges on him being potty trained. Today he took off his diaper and said "I don't wear 'oday". So I asked if he wanted to go on the toilet. "No". We've got the wanting to wear underwear down, just have to help him want to sit on the toilet. We'll get it at some point.

Today we also watched a couple videos, one of William Bradford and the other George Washington. Levi loved learning about George Washington because he was a general and Levi loves all things battle related (his and Max's other favorite video is the stripling warriors because they have swords! They'd watch it 10 times in a row if they could) . We then somehow got to talking about the American revolution and what that was all about. It was fun explaining it in a 4 year old way what happened. I love history. He seemed to get it and kind of understood what happened. We ended up talking about kings and queens of England and I even showed him pictures of Queen Elizabeth and Buckingham palace. He loved it. That kid loves to learn and I hope he always will.

Speaking of learning, we talk about pretty much every subject, Levi's very inquisitive. A while back I realized I needed some sort of big map to help him and Max get an idea of where states and countries are located. I was just going to get normal maps but found these great fabric panels so I ordered a world and US one that I will make into a quilt. I got them today and showed it to them and they freak out loved it. I showed them where we live, where Jason and I served our missions and some of the big countries that Levi has heard of. It's fun teaching my boys.

One of the things I've been loving, and what woman/mom wouldn't, is the boys tell me I'm pretty basically everyday. For some reason a couple weeks ago Levi started notice I was wearing perfume and now asks every day if I am and when I do, paired with some makeup and jewelry he makes sure to say I'm pretty. I love it. Jason could be coaching him on all this but whatever it is, it makes me smile every day. Some days they even help me pick the perfume and what jewelry to wear. It fun even if it doesn't match. I'm sure in several years they will care less and think of such things as 'icky' but for right now I'm enjoying it.

While I'm writing this I got to thinking that I tend to write to the positive, and not so much the hard stuff. But I think this is because I do want to be positive, not because hard stuff, annoying stuff, pull my hair out stuff doesn't happen cause it does, all the time. So just to set things straight for any who might think life around the Goodrich's is all fun, learning, and crafts, it ain't. It gets stressful being around my kids all day long, from the moment they wake me (which is usually crying or fighting, and anything but a gentle, whispered 'wake up mom') all till the time when they've finally gone to sleep, which is normally an epic long battle, at least with Mr. M. It's tough.

Max has been in a super whine mode lately which has been extremely hard on my ears. When I went to preschool to drop Levi off, the teacher even said 'well he's in a whiny mood!' and we weren't even there for that long. Super whiny. I love the kid, but I can definitely do without the whiny sound. He's gotten slightly better over the past several months since he's been able to communicate more. I've found one of the only ways I can get him to do things is threats. I hate to say it but it's true, I've tried incentives and sometimes they work but most often not.

Levi is so different. He is a complete people pleaser. He wants to do things because he wants to make people happy, he wants their approval. There's good and bad to this. He does a lot without bribery or threats but at the same time he likes to do things right. Like drawing and writing he says it's hard and can't do it 'good' because he can't do it as well as me or someone else. But we're working on getting over that. Max could care less. He doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks. Good and bad too. He's actually very good at drawing and tracing even though he's not even 3 but I think that's partly because he doesn't care if its right and just does his thing. All and all I love those two, the good, the bad and the ugly.

What else.......hmmmm. Jason has been working at his new position and seems to be liking it. It seems like a very good company to work for. A few perks with discounts and Max even will be able to do a fit test where he'll wear a new design so they can see how they fit and such. I hear they have a great cafeteria but we have yet to visit. One of these days.

Now. I must go to bed. I've really been trying to make my bed time earlier but without much success. I will forever be a night owl. If it was my way I'd go to bed at 2 and wake up at 10. But not at this time in my life. Asi es la vida.

No comments: