Monday, January 7, 2013

Today

I wish I could keep up with things, as much as I try it never really happens. The trick for me is learning to accept that for what it is and not frustrate myself with wanting the impossible.

Today was a day of beginnings. Max began primary as Westview Ward's newest sunbeam. I wish I had a picture but I was busy getting ready, more on that in a second. He did a great job, stayed in his seat, sang with everyone, despite the fact that I was right there and he couldn't be with me. When class was over he was all smiles and had only a brief second of sad confusion when he though he was going with me but had to go with his class, but he got over it.

 This week I began my new calling as the teacher to the other Sunbeam class. I was unexpected and suddenly released right before the holidays. It was kind of sad but kind of a relief and I quickly chimed in that I'd love to stay in primary. I've never been the type to request where I wanted to be weather as a member of the church, a missionary, in work....I try to be more of a 'I'll go where you want me to go...' person, but I am good friends with the new president and couldn't help telling her my preferences which were: Jr. Primary (I have no idea what to do with older kids, I haven't got to that yet), not Max's class (he has a tough time when I teach him in pre-k), and not to have a companion teacher (in all my times of teaching I have never liked team teaching, even when it was with Jason, I've just never got the hang of it and would much rather do it alone).

Part of me feels a little bad to not just go where they want me but if I get put in an activities related calling I might scream! I love it and I will help anyone with anything, but I do not want that as my calling, at least not right now. I did it for almost 8 years which should be enough for a while at least. So she quickly put a request in because there was whispers that the RS was wanting me for something as well. I'm excited to have my class, I am the only 'single' teacher but I have the smallest class with 4 kids, 3 girls and a boy. In my head I was like aww, the girls are so sweet this should be a quite class. Oh no. Two of the girls were all over me, it was hilarious! They kept playing with my earrings, necklace, the beads on my shirt, lace on my cardigan....The funny thing is the boy, who I know a bit and is known to be a bit of a spitfire was the quietest one of all, probaly difficult to get a word in edgewise with all those girls. Then I look over to Max's class, which is mostly boys and at least to me it seemed like were all quietly sitting and paying attention. This should be a fun year, I'm excited! For the first lesson I was up far to late the night before getting things ready because I've never taught in primary or much in a classroom setting outside of the MTC, where everyone is older and very eager to be there. Totally new ballgame so I was excited and nervous. But class time was a lot of fun and time passed quickly. This will be a fun challenge.

We also started a new church time so went from 1pm church to 9am, which was quite a difference but very welcomed. I welcomed back my Sunday naps with open arms.

Enough about me, Levi also had a new class. Actually it was much of the same, one teacher changed and pretty much all the same kids in the other class. He sat right behind me which he absolutely loved. He's going to do great in that class. I've noticed he's grown in confidence and is now very quick to answer questions during sharing time. I love it!

That kid is so sweet and melts my heart, they both are actually. Not to boast but they love me SOOO much. They give me random hugs and kisses throughout the day, tell me they love me all the time and that I'm pretty at least a handful of times. They always want to snuggle and be with me. I just love them so much. It is hard for me to imagine them as stubborn teenagers who probably won't even want to be seen in public with me, but I suppose it will happen. For right now I'll enjoy it while I can.

Tomorrow we start back with the routine, at least part of it. Levi will be back in school, Max won't start pre-k for a bit, we still have to figure out the schedule. One of the mom's just had a baby so we're taking it slower than we normally would, which is fine with me. During this 2 1/2 week break I have come to realize how much I love having them home. I see friends complain on FB that their kids are home for the break and are freaking out but for me, right now (cause I'm sure I'll change my tune at some point) I thoroughly enjoy having them home with me, I actually look forward to their days off. 

1 comment:

Danielle said...

The sunbeam class-there's a fun and exciting calling! i've never actually had it but subbed a few times and always laugh at how crazy it is in there.

and max not freaking out that you're in there-that's great. we can't even walk bennett to the primary room at this point or he screams. if somebody else does it though, he's not too bad. we'll get there... :)