Monday, July 28, 2014

Friends and Striking a Pose

Now that Davis is a full fledged crawler we have had to improvised a blockade from the living room (aka Davis playpen) into the dining room (aka the Lego room). We mostly have used boxes of toys and whatever else we could find. He's not the best climber and has yet to be super motivated to get across so it works for now. We'll see what happens with it in a few weeks.

Man that dining room is a mess though. Toys and Legos everywhere. Sure makes me wish we had a play room of some sort. We'd put it in the boys room but it is already very close quarters in there and hardly any room as is. Oh well, we'll deal.




We have been wanting to have these Rowley boys over for a while but with school and life things were tricky so we jumped on the first chance we got after summer hit. It was kind of spur of the moment but we decided to roast hot dogs and make smores. These boys had a blast and there was hardly any fighting, just messes and lots of laughter. I'll take it. Ashley couldn't believe I would take all 3 of them for almost 7 hours, which I did. Somehow watching 6 was easier than 3.

After the campfire and lots of playing we walked/rode to the park where we played hide and go seek. And yes, Max wore his full Power Ranger costume. I did not care one bit though I was a little worried because it was hot. Eventually he consented to take it off. Silly man.


Later during the week was filled with babies crawling over people and boys getting lessons on how to clean out a van. The van (or known by the boys as the Goodrich Mobile) was extremely disgusting because it had only been quickly vaccumed a few times since we bought it. But we (by we I mean mostly me with as much 'help' as a 5 and 6 year old can give) cleaned out cup holders filled with nastyness, wiped down seats that were covered with grime from kids putting their feet up on them, crumbs in places I didn't even know there were, floor mats pulled out and scrubbed. But after 2 hours of detailing it was done and we'll see if that helps the boys be any neater. Probably not but it sparkled for one glorious moment.
During the week we went to Sweet Tomatoes with my dad. It was Davies first time in a sit up high chair at a restraunt. I was a little nervous but he did a great job and flirted with the lady in the booth across the table most of the time, she was smitten and couldn't stop talking to him and in return he would grin at her. I think she would have taken him home if she could. The rest of the time he was grabbing my dads arm and ripping off arm hair. I know this because at the end I noticed on the table covered in in.
As picky as my Max is he does like some healthy things. He loves beets and broccoli and how many kids can say that? You can tell he loves ice cream even more. My camera shy guy insisted I take a picture of his dirty face and then his clean face (btw I LOVE that he can go off to the bathroom now by himself when we're there)


Levi insisted on pictures together, then Max jumped in. Then Davis kept moving his head so they kept trying to move it back and all he wanted to do was play with his spoon. It was pretty funny.
A few months ago my grandmother, my dads mom, Grandma Wanda passed away. In some ways it was probablly a good thing because she was really starting to have medical issues and was in a lot of pain but we will miss her. She was always such a nice lady and while we didn't spend anywhere the same amount of time with her as we did with my other grandma because she lived in California, she was always so kind and thoughtful to us.

When we were kids she always, and I mean always, remembered our birthdays. Every year she gave each of us a card and $20. I knew I could always count on her to remember and she never forgot. Later I learned other things she did for our family. When my mom and dad were getting the house I was raised in they had 5 kids and were dirt poor. She was the one who gave almost all (or was it all?) the money for the down payment and didn't even ask for it back. I also as a grown up found out that after my parents got divorced every year for Christmas she would send my mom money for presents for us. We were really lucky to have such great grandparents.

Sadly none of us kids were really in a position to attend the funeral. It wasn't a large gathering, she was cremated and a number of close friends and relatives held a small memorial for her.

One of the things she LOVED was jewelry. She loved big and bold pieces and apprently had a ton, I mean boxes and boxes of the stuff. Mostly stuff she found at garage sales and such but she loved it all and was always wearing lots of rings, bracelets, earrings. So after my dad got back from California he brought over boxes of her jewelry. And I thought I had a lot. There were TONS. It took Scarlett and I hours to go through it all. The boys helped and loved their bracelets and pretended each had a special power. Max even claimed a pile that he considered boy jewelry. It was very cute.

Well since I have a plethora of jewelry and it wasn't really my style I didn't claim much but it was right up Miranda (Jared's girlfriend) ally and she claimed a ton. If anyone can rock a pair of cactus earrings she can. We also let the Morin clan go through and pick out what they wanted (again, there was a Rubbermaid container full of it ) and
Fruit smoothies are a staple in this house. Max usually requests a 'Super Strawberry Smoothie" while Levi will take just about anything so long as it doesn't have raspberries in it.
One day Max built up a little fort in the nook between the couch and that side table thing we have. He was quite excited to have his own little spot. Until Davis found it.
We went to target and I was nice and let the boys look at the toys since we had everything else on our list. I don't usually browse toys with them because when I do it someone (won't name names) ends up getting either super pouty or crying so I just don't do it. But when we can talk about it before hand and I tell them we're not getting anything, just looking and if Davis starts freaking out we're leaving, they have been pretty good. In the end Max ended up getting a ninja turtle shirt with some of his birthday money. He has been getting way into them lately, looks like I'll need to figure out whose who. Red is Rafael right?
And our berries. I love this time of year in oregon. We got a ton of raspberries this year and strawberries as well. These are the hood ones and soon the bigger ones and the blueberries will start ripening. Like Davis in the background? That kid is not afraid of grass unlike his brothers.

Davis seems much more fearless than my other guys. Maybe because it's been almost 5 years since I had a kid at this stage but from what I can remember this guy totally wins in the adventuring department. Max and Levi refused to crawl on the grass, sand or anything that made them 'dirty' but Davis doesn't mind one bit. He is all over the place and I can barely keep up with him. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I love his little baby legs and watching him crawl around as his big bros practiced their bike riding skills.

Pausing to watch his big brothers scooter and bike around.


Nice pose bud.
We were babysitting for our friend Lola and out came Mr. Potato Head. She had never played him with before so we all made up some, like Max's all armed guy (creepy) and little Lola had me take a picture so she could show her mom later. That girl is so dang cute. She makes me want a girl which I don't say very often.
Guess who put baby in a box? Rhymes with mason.
Levi insisted on clipping his own fingernails. He's getting to be such a big guy!
And a freak occurance with my two guys that haven't napped for years. First Levi went downstairs to hang, then Max. At one point I had all three boys napping at the same time. Not for long, but it happened and I'm sure it won't happen again for a long time, until their teenagers and all they want to do is sleep.
Work on the bathroom. Tub, toilet and cabinets are out, window is in. Progress.

No comments: