Saturday, April 16, 2011

Albert the Alligator

Being semi-crafty, I often have people contacting me about some fabric or other craft supplies they have that thought I could use for some crafting project. Guess what my mom bought me once? A huge chunk of beeswax. What the heck am I going to do with that? When she was buying it she told me she had the thought "Kendra can do something with that." That was several years ago and I still have it sitting in my craft room, and maybe, just maybe, one day I'll figure out what to do with it.

This time I had a friend whose mom, another friend of mine, had a huge alligator she got for the grand kids for Christmas. While it was in hiding, the fur on the bottom part of the mouth got a bit singed and had a hole. They were sad and ended up getting a new one and then thought I could salvage it somehow.

Now this I could use cause the boys LOVE alligators. In fact we have 3.
I had it hidden for at least a month because I have a ton of projects in the works and I told myself I wouldn't start new projects until I finished the old. But I knew I needed to do it, mostly because do you know how hard it is to keep a 6 foot alligator hidden from two curious, mischievous monkeys? It's not an easy task. So I showed Levi, who I know would give me several reminders a day till I had it done. What a motivator! And guess what? I finished it up that night because he'd seriously came to me at least 10 times to ask if it was done. I cut out the bottom, under mouth panel and bought some similar fabric hand stitched it up. It wasn't perfect but it was finished and off my list.

When it was done Jason and I decided to put it where Levi would see it first thing in the morning, but not the bedroom because we didn't want him to freak out and wake Max. So we put it in the bathroom. I was up late and about midnight I hear his door open, him go to the bathroom and go back to bed. When I go to check on him later guess whose lying in bed with him?

He's dragged "Al" around ever since and I'm sure gained some serious muscle power too. It's almost as tall as I am!

Oh, and if anyone ever comes up with a great project involving beeswax, let me know.

2 comments:

Carly said...

I quote: "Being semi-crafty..." HELLO! You are 100% crafty.

Al is awesome! I had a subconcious thing against huge stuffed animals... until we acquired Rufus (our four foot bear). Oh he is loved!

And beeswax... my mom used to make little hearts with a string attached (like an ornament) using beeswax (made with a mold)... and it's what I use to "wax" my thread when I sew on a button etc. So cute!

Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.