Monday, May 9, 2011

Letting Go

Every night before I go to bed I can't help but check in on the boys, even if I know Jason has already done it. I just have to take a look at them. As I kiss them goodnight I always say a silent prayer for them, asking Heavenly Father and the angels that surround them, to protect them and guide them.

The other day I was doing my routine and Max had woken up so I held and rocked him for a good while, something I don't do nearly enough. Thoughts raced about how fast they are growing and how I wish that I could freeze time. Because, despite all the hardships that come with parenting young children, it is wonderful and something I know I will never get back. I love their innocence, complete love and devotion, joy in the smallest things and curiosity. It is no wonder the scriptures tell us to 'be as little children'.

As I held my sweet little man, I wondered what our lives would be like in 5 years, 10 or even 20. I sure hope they like me when I'm older, when they are teenagers and I have to tell them they can't stay out all hours of the night, make them study for some test or don't let them do whatever they want. I hope they still want to call and talk to me when they go off to school and get married. I hope they live nearby because you can bet I want to spoil some grandkids. I guess sometimes I just want to hug them and hold on to them forever. But that's impossible. It's just hard letting go even the littlest amount. Next year Levi will be going to preschool 3 times a week and it is weird to think he has a whole life outside of me and our home. I know it's got to happen though and am trying to enjoy it all while I can. My babies are growing up.

1 comment:

Carter Family said...

this made me tear up Kendra! I think about that stuff too. I hope my kids want to be close as they grow. I won't be able to pull them onto my lap and snuggle them for very much longer. I need to remember to savor those sweet moments with my little ones.