Friday, May 6, 2011

Running for Risa

Last weekend I did my first official 5k. It was to help raise money for a young woman who had cancer, I didn't know her personally but knew her older siblings and family. She actually passed away a week or so before the event but I am so glad we were able to help even in some small way.

When they first announced it several months ago I started jogging 5k's every Saturday, just to make sure I wouldn't pass out or anything. Which I didn't. I was super slow and was 175th out of 206 but I didn't stop, which was my goal. Here's a horrible picture, it was probably going up one of those hills. It was a lot hill-ier than I expected.
After the 5k Scarlett and I had plans to meet up with my mom and the boys to do the fun run. She had taken them over to her house for a sleepover and per typical Denese fashion they were a little late getting there but we eventually started off.

Levi was quite excited about getting to put a number on his shirt, though it was a little difficult to tell what number it was upside down.
We all started off on the fun run trail.
After getting up the first big hill Levi says to us "This is a fun run! We need to run!" So him and Aunt Rose ran off with the rest of us trailing behind. It wasn't a very long distance, I'd say approximately one cookie and bag of Cheetos long. Silly Max. Now THAT is how you run a race. We all finished, last (mostly because we pretty much started when everyone had finished), but had a fun time. We're definitely doing this again sometime soon. Next time we'll make Jason come with us. He actually would have come but he had to work last minute. I've already signed up for one in June, I hope I do better!Yeah baby!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Way to go! You're awesome for finishing :)

Jenn said...

Go Kendra! What a big accomplishment!! You are inspiring me to get back in shape. Thanks for sharing your experience!