Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Big Three

 For weeks Max had been talking about his birthday when he would 'not e oow anmore'. All of us were pumped up for the big day. This year is a family year with no big friend party and we had a lot of fun keeping it pretty low key.

First thing in the morning he crawled into bed to which all of us started to sing 'Happy Birthday'. He screamed and wouldn't let us finish , which took a bit to calm him down. Maybe he just couldn't handle all the excitement. 

To begin, breakfast out, which we never do. I was even nice and let him pack around his lightning McQueen backpack filled with all his favorite stuff animals, usually it's just one animal and it has to stay in the car. He had a bear pancake (it was a bear face) which he refused to cut up and eat for 20 minutes but he finally did. On the way in to the restaurant he kept telling every one 'I not oow anmore, I free, I big boy now'. Toward the end they sang and brought out a crepe with ice cream. He was a little shy about the singing but ice cream for breakfast? Yes please.
 Then off we went (after a few errands) to play with friends. We played and then went for a picnic outside. I brought his favorite, watermelon which was a crowd pleaser. I think between us all we at the whole thing.
 A lot of running around and rock throwing.
 Did someone say cookies? Everyone brought a couple different kinds (I love how we all think alike) and let the kids have at it, at least for a bit. Max kept stuffing his face probably thinking I was going to stop him any second.

 Cool dude.

 And Levi wanted to be sure to get his picture taken.
 In the evening we showed him a strider bike we got him. We weren't going to get him anything but I caved and did. It took him a bit to get used to it but he loves it.
 On Sunday we had our 'family party' to which Jason and I presented him with his birthday cake. I like to do a fun cake on the family party years because I don't have time on friend years. Jason and I worked on it together late Saturday night, it took about 2 hours and turned out better than I thought. Jason was in charge of making the fondant and sculpting (he's great at it) and I did more details and stacked it. I think we make a pretty good cake decorating team.
 Max showed everyone his airplane cake the first thing when they came in. He was quite excited.
 Aunt Rose, whose b-day it was the next day, was a great sport and said she wanted an airplane cake and hot dogs for her birthday too, so it worked out well. What a nice auntie.
 Presents! He got some work gloves and tool belt thing from Jason because whenever we asked what he wanted he told us tools, got some books from Nesie, a Thomas the Train pillow pet from Aunt Ro (which he loves), and a little stuffed monkey from Miss Krista which is now one of his new bff's. His name is Anders.

To my dear Max,
I can't believe you are three years old. You are a 'big boy' and one of my favorite people in the world. You are such a sweet kind boy. Your smile is infectious and every time you giggle it makes me so happy that I get to be your mom. Every day I am amazed how much you know and want to learn.

Right now you love building. I mean love it. Your favorite is the big legos where you could build and build if we'd let you. You love to help dad build and work with him in the garage. Max the builder.

You love to help and always want to help with whatever I'm doing, cooking, putting away dishes, working outside. You are such a helper.

Favorite things: Spiderman, legos, your Thomas book, Hercules the movie (you laugh hysterically at Pain and Panic), slide of all shapes and sizes, and the color red.

We love you so much and look forward to another year with our fun, smart, kind and 'cool' little, ahem, big, boy.

No comments: