Sunday, February 16, 2014

Winter Blast Week

The week started out like any other week with kids, school, reading in beds, babies. Then suddenly it decided to snow and in the Portland area it is a huge cause for panic. I mean a couple of snow flakes and the schools close, the city is shut down and it is absolute chaos. But to be fair, this year their was a insane amount of snow which we haven't seen like this since 2008.
It started on a Thursday afternoon and so I decided I would go and pick up Levi from school 20 minutes early because I figured it might be a little crazy. Bad idea. It was snowing quite a bit, but it was pretty dusty and not sticking too much. Driving in it was a crazy and my 15 minute drive turned in to an hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic. Good thing school was closed for Max because we would not have made it at all.
Luckily school was over for the week. The boys couldn't wait to get outside but I was definitly not going out considering I was working on getting Davis to nap so to hold them off until dad got home the boys and I made some power ranger cookies. They turned out terribly (looking, that is, they tasted just fine).
They were so excited to get out and play and were as patient as they could be while mittens, hats, and other snow gear was found. Then of course there was lots and lots of sledding, throwing snowballs, and all that.









Also during all this the winter Olympics started and we all enjoyed watching the opening ceremonies, we even let the boys stay up late to watch.
Friday Jason had off, Saturday's wrestling tournament was cancelled and even church was cancelled. We were all stuck in the house for 3 days but that didn't mean I wasn't going to make everyone clean up on Saturday. It was getting pretty gross having everyone inside the whole time. In cleaning we decided it was time for the jumparoo to come out since Davis is now pretty much a pro with holding his head up. But I don't know who was more interested in it, Max or Davis. I'm pretty sure it was Max.
My mom braved the snow and ended up stuck at our house for the 3 nights. She didn't seem to mind much, though by the end she was getting antsy. The boys loved it though, lots of grandma love.


Snow, snow, snow. I was even nice and filled up some spray bottles for the boys with colored water. It started out with just a few squirts but eventually there was a rainbow all over the back deck, they loved it. I'm just happy it all eventually melted away.









Aaaand of course we watched wayyyyyy too much tv, including one of the boys new favorites, Short Circut which the boys love to quote and act like robots to. We have the tv version recorded. I didn't realize it until I became a parent but movies from the 80's had tons of swearing and bad language in them. The edited version is just right for this crowd. And what's lots of movie watching without some caramel corn? OJ's secret recipe.
My mom got so antsy she dove into some of the fabric I had laying around and started a quilt which she got about halfway through with. 


For some reason Max decided during everything that he was going to get ready for the day, Jason style. So without asking anyone he went into the bathroom and put on some of Jason's cologne (which he does let him put on on Sundays) and spiked up his hair. He came out and totally surprised both Jason and I because he absolutely hates getting his hair done. It was very cute.






After the crazy snowy weekend we needed to get to the store on Monday. The temperature had risen rapidly so the roads were just fine, there was just a lot of rain and big piles of snow on the sides of the roads. We were lucky food wise because we didn't really need anything despite the fact that that weekend was my grocery shopping week. Thank goodness for food storage. I'm actually very grateful for it because in thinking about it we probably could have lasted a long time if we needed to, it makes me feel good knowing if there was an emergency we would be somewhat prepared.

But eventually we ran out of milk so the boys and I headed off to the store. They decided they needed to read which I do not object to. One of the things I love about the van is the lights so they can read and it doesn't really distract the driver. I'm all for reading, any time, any where.



This was from earlier in the week. Levi's class had a unit on pioneers where they read Little House on the Prairie, made butter, sewed, did crafts and lots of other fun things. The teachers were awesome and made them all hats and bonnets. They decided to take this picture with everyone more serious because back then pictures took longer to take but also, I learned from Levi, almost every one had bad teeth so they didn't want to show them.















And Max has decided that the Jumparoo is his time machine. After almost breaking it a couple of times he is now banned from it.
And this was Levi's joke for one of the days this week. I almost didn't put it in because Jason doesn't like 'potty talk' but I don't mind it every now and again. Or a lot.  Plus, it is pretty funny.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

hahaha-that joke is awesome!