Sunday, September 29, 2013

Septemberness

A year or two ago I made a fun wreath that you can change out with the seasons. Well, this year spring has stayed up until a this week when I finally bought one I have been eyeballing for quite some time. I almost kept this one up because it was mostly now a home for spiders and probably would have gone well with the Halloween decor but it had to go. 
I remember when I first got my iphone which was about a year ago, I decided I wasn't really going to let my kids use it, I'm horrible I know. But I had had a ipod touch and they were addicted to it, would wake me up at the crack of dawn begging to use it, would whine when they didn't get to play, ask over and over if they could use it. It was so dang annoying.  I was kind of glad when I lost it.

So when I got my phone I put a password on it and now mostly use it for work stuff, gps, taking pictures, putting some notes on, and actually texting people which I previously hadn't done for the first 29 years of my life. Yes, I do let the boys use it some times but it is a treat, usually has a limit and they have to earn it. That is unless there is an emergency like distracting them during a shot or for Max getting his nails clipped which for him sure sounds like he's getting a shot or two.

But they both know I occasionally send messages to people and can even pictures. One morning while Levi was at school, for some reason, Max really wanted to send some pictures to people. The first one was to Nese. Who knows why he decided to make that face. Being tough maybe? Then the second was for dad to show him what he was doing. Maybe he was bragging or he might just think dad plays with shoes all day and wanted to show the fun things he was up to.
Last week was national talk like a pirate day and if you went to krispy kreams you got a dozen free doughnuts if you dressed up like a pirate, so the boys rifled through their costume box and found some appropriate pirate gear.

All went pretty well though we definitely shouldn't have waited until after all the kids were out of school to do it. The machine was broken down and the line was pretty long. Also all the sprinkle doughnuts were gone, they are the boy's favorite, especially Max's because he pretty much only licks off the chocolate and sprinkles, but they some how survived. Levi ate a whole doughnut before Max and I had even had more than two bites. That kid sure can pack it in!
And of course the soccer practices and games. I am definitely not used to driving kids around to school/sports activities. In my family we never did it as kids, except an occasional dance class once a week for a year or so but other than that we didn't really do much outside activities until we could take a bus and get ourselves to and from places in our teenage years.

Just call me a soccer mom. On this trip Max had fallen asleep and Levi really wanted me to take a picture of him because he knows Max hates them, I obliged and Levi was supremely happy about it because he thought he was being so sneaky. Stinker.

Our Monday morning. Overall I really like our school schedule because we start off gradually on Monday's with only Max in school in the afternoon making sure homework and such is done, three days of insanity and me driving around, then nothing Fridays except for the homework and chores. I love it and the boys do too, probably because it means a little more precious Lego time.
This time they were telling elaborate stories which I recorded. I love listening to them tell stories because they are completely random and even come with character voices.
For FHE we went to Target to look at car seats. Didn't get one but I had to get all this. Vanilla tootsie rolls are the best ever, I love Lego minifigures and I couldn't not get talon shaped salad tongs. They were all too awesome to pass up. Jason mostly rolled his eyes at me.
I finally went through baby cloths and stuff in case and to get just one more thing off my ever lengthening to do before baby comes list. Max got into the 'baby drawer' which had previously been his toy drawer and found some binkies. He was so excited because he has heard me tell stories about how much he loved his binkies and would always say 'I miss my binkie' when he thought about them or we talked about them. So this was his first reaction when instead of finding his toys in the drawer found baby cloths and some pacifiers.
Levi was enraged because he said they were for baby and Max was getting germs on them. Oh kids. They will be properly washed and I'm sure we'll get some new ones. Hopefully Max won't steal them all.
Levi has been doing a great job at school, reading like a pro but needs work on writing and spelling so we were reviewing his spelling list and made a game of it.
My sleepy boy on the way to pick up his big brother and go off to preschool. I was surprised he wasn't angry when he woke up, he can be a little on the grumpy side when that happens. Just like me.
Friday since there was no school and I was all caught up on work, not house work, but other work, we headed off the the library which made Levi supremely happy. He loves looking at books there. We first went off to find some reading ones for him then because he kept sitting himself down to read in the middle of the aisles I settled him in at a table while Max and I went off in search of a few books. I think if I weighed our bag it would have weighed well over 60lbs. But we all love it and we leave books out on the coffee table a few days so the boys can pour over them. Even though it's only been a few days I think we are about halfway done with them.....

I love, love, love to see the boys read, especially when Max snuggles up to his brother and Levi starts reading to him. It's so dang cute.



I don't know what it is about kindergarteners but Levi went from tearing up 0 pairs of pants in preschool to about 8 pairs by the end of the kindergarten year. I don't think 1st grade will be any different. Three weeks in and already one pair down. This is why Ito pay much for boys jeans.

I asked him to hold still for a picture (he was quite proud of it) then he decided to show off his ninja fighting skills.
He totally gets them from me.

No comments: