Tuesday, December 3, 2013

From the Mouths of Babes

I can't get over sometimes how sweet and thoughtful Levi is, I love that kid. In the past day or so he has done and said so many things that just astound me and make me appriciate the fact that I get to be his mom.

- Davis wasn't going down for a nap very easily so I told Levi to be extra quiet so I could get him down. After a long time of trying I did it and told Levi. His response was a hand held up for a high five. It made my day.

- While I was doing dishes and he was working on some homework in the dining room he randomly asks if there are more girl pilots or boy pilots. By the way, his homework had absolutely nothing to do with planes or pilots. I told him I wasn't sure and we talked a little bit about women, the history of their employment, the right to vote and such (he thoroughly enjoys history as do I) and about what different women do now and told me very matter of factly that "Moms have the most important job in the world!" How can a little kid know something that sometimes is even hard for me to understand and remember sometimes?

- Last night Jason and I were just about to go to sleep when we heard Levi get up and go to the restroom. I waited to hear him go back to bed like he usually does but this time I saw a little (ok, big) shadow army crawl to my side of the bed where he whispered to me "I want to be with you." Melted this mamas heart so I let him snuggle in bed with his dad and me for a bit then Jason carried him off to bed. Sometimes I wish I could have my kids sleep in my bed just to snuggle them all night long but I just can't because very early on I found I can't sleep at all with kids in my bed. Oh well, I just have to do it during the day.

- We had someone at the door and I thought it was a family member so I had Levi run down and get it, it wasn't. It was a door to door sales person who knocked despite their being a 'no soliciting' sign right by the door. Eh. I hate them. After Jason politely told them no thanks and the door was shut I jokingly said (probably because I had far too many that day at the door and on the phone) "Can't they read?"  Levi quickly answered me, "They are just doing their job the best they can." He was of course right and it made me stop and think about how often I am just thinking about me and the inconvenience they are making to me which really isn't anything. They are just trying to do what most people do and earn a living. I'm so glad I have that little man to give me some perspective.

I am so grateful for this sweet, sensitive, kind, smart little/big boy in my life he always helps me remember that 'a child shall lead them'.

No comments: